Well, I saw an interesting 8-bit programming competition, and I thought I'd write an entry.
A roguelike. In 10 lines of 8-bit Locomotive BASIC on the Amstrad CPC. Well, to be fair, it's barely a roguelike, apart from the overhead view, and the fact you walk into monsters to kill them. Otherwise, it's a multi-level collect-the-gold game with very slow lethargic hungover monsters. Like many roguelike games, there is certainly an aspect of grinding if you want to get every gold and kill every monster.
In terms of random map algorithms, this has a very primitive 'spam rooms onto map' method that can lead to blocked off areas. And 10 lines of code is not very much, even if they are long lines.
Here's an example first level:
And here's a sample eleventh level:
The monsters move using a 'Doctor Who and the Daleks' game mechanism - that is, they head straight for you if they can. Also the concept of HP, CP, stats, is simply not there - not in 10 lines! Maybe someone else can squeeze that in!


No comments:
Post a Comment